Winners of the Popular Prize 2018 | European Inventor AwardCongratulations to Erik Loopstra and Vadim Banine!
Winners of the lottery
The winners of the lottery will be drawn on June 11 and notified via email. As soon as they have responded to the notification, their names will be published.
The prizes awarded are 25 I Lock IT - a smart bike lock.
Erik Loopstra (NL) and Vadim Banine (NL/RU)Extreme ultraviolet lithography
Gaute Munch, Erik Hansen (DK) and teamLEGO programmable robots
Agnès Poulbot and Jacques Barraud† (FR)Auto-regenerating tyre tread
Eileen Ingham and John Fisher CBE (UK)Donor tissue without rejection
Jacek Jemielity, Joanna Kowalska, Edward Darżynkiewicz and team (PL)Stabilising messenger RNA
Jens FrahmFaster, real-time MRI
Alex Kipman (BR)HoloLens: mixed reality smart glasses
Esther Sans Takeuchi (US)Batteries to reset the heart
Stephen Dewar (CA), Philip Watts (US/CA) and Frank Fish (US)Turbines and fans inspired by whales
Jane Ni Dhulchaointigh (IE) and teamSugru: multi-purpose mouldable glue
Thomas Scheibel (DE)Artificial spider silk
Mehrdad Mahdjoubi (SE)Closed-loop shower
Ursula Keller (CH)Ultrafast pulsed lasers
Henrik Stiesdal (DK)Offshore windfarms
Jacques Lewiner (FR)Smoke alarm, internet connections, secure key cards and many more
The Popular Prize 2018
The European Inventor Award is one of Europe's most prestigious innovation prizes. Launched by the European Patent Office (EPO) in 2006, it honours inventors, individuals or teams, whose pioneering work improves our lives, advances technology and creates jobs.
Every year, the public can vote for their favourite inventor in the Popular Prize.
The winners in each category, and in the Popular Prize, were announced at the Award ceremony in Paris, Saint-Germain-en-Laye on 7 June.
The European Inventor Award and the Popular Prize lottery are organised by the European Patent Office (EPO). The Popular Prize scheme is regulated by German law.
- You can vote for an inventor more than once, provided it’s on different days.
- You can vote for multiple inventors each day.
- If you want to be included in the prize lottery, please check the relevant box while voting. Each time you vote, your chances to win your own prize increase.
- The total duration of the voting is five weeks, from 24 April 2018 to 3 June 2018.
- The winners of the prize lottery will be drawn at random by the EPO on 11 June.
- You must be at least 18 years old to take part in the Popular Prize vote.
- The winners of the prize lottery will be notified by e-mail and requested to respond within 7 days to provide their postal address.
- For more information, please read the Terms and Conditions, which you need to accept in order to be able to vote and participate in the lottery.